August has been a whirlwind in the best, most magical ways! Since July 31st, I’ve had the opportunity to both assist and second shoot at 7 weddings, with another one this upcoming weekend. What a blessing! I am learning SO much and I’m getting such great experience as a photographer, which was exactly my goal! As I look ahead to my fall calendar, I’m beyond grateful to have at least another dozen weddings that I get to be part of. Since I recognize that most people don’t spend every weekend serving people on one of the happiest days of their life, I thought I would give you a peek into what I’ve been up to.
One of the many benefits of being an assistant on a wedding day is that I get to capture lots of beautiful behind-the-scenes snippets throughout the day. When I’m photographing a wedding as a lead or second shooter, I’m often viewing the day through my lens. While I’ve had the opportunity to shoot throughout the day at each and every wedding I’ve done so far, there is more opportunity to pick up on moments like this when I’m assisting:
5 Weddings in 9 Days
Over the course of 9 days, I assisted my dear friend Annmarie at five beautiful weddings. I got to step foot into four gorgeous, new-to-me venues for the first time. These included the Boston Public Library, Briar Barn Inn, Willowdale Estate, and Misselwood. I got to hold gorgeous bouquets, fluff veils, and prepare couples for their first look. I got to meet incredible new vendors and watch them serve their couples with their whole hearts. Each weekend, I get to watch breathtaking celebrations go off without a hitch. I.love.this.work.
It’s hard to play favorites with the experiences I’m having. But if I had to choose, here are a handful that stand out the most:
- Watching Handy & Delaire Events transform Bates Hall at the Boston Public Library. Their design included uplighting that made the ceiling look like a starry sky!
- Walking through the path of twinkly lights at Misselwood
- Seeing a groom unveil his custom-made Redsox/Yankees suspenders. (He’s a Yankees fan and the bride is a Red Sox fan, so he gave a nod to both of their loyalties!)
- Cheering as a piano player in the Public Garden played the Wedding March for a lovely bride during portrait time.
- Enjoying my very first Willowdale/Briar Barn Inn chocolate chip cookie!
- Witnessing my first horah
- Searching high and low for tissues for the sweetest bride to blot her happy tears with
- Receiving hugs from couples at the end of the night, thanking us for being alongside them on one of the most special days of their life
- Meeting Cori Copley at the Fairmont
- Forever and always, the moment of joyful anticipation right before the bride walks down the aisle
It is an incredible privilege to be learning from Annmarie and to have a front-row seat to the way she loves and serves her couples. I am so excited for all that is to come this fall with the weddings ahead!